3 Academic Credit Hours (September 28-December 21, 2022)
History of Jewish Christian Relations
Course will be held via Zoom on Wednesdays, 4 – 7 Israel Time
ZOOM COURSE – This course has ended
If you may still be interested to register even though you have missed the first live sessions contact [email protected]
This course will provide the student with a general understanding of the relationship between Jews, Judaism and Christianity. We will discuss issues such as “Christian” anti-Semitism, Jewish views of Jesus (including the often neglected area of Jewish believers in Jesus), theological arguments regarding God’s plan for Israel, and the historic decisions, trends and movements which have contributed to the modern relationship between these two groups.
The lessons will be held through a Zoom format, consisting of lectures and interactive discussions between all participants. All together there will be 10 three hour (with breaks) Live zoom lectures.
Recordings will be available to registered students to watch multiple times during the time of the course and for six weeks after it ends. It won’t be possible to download video lectures to personal PC.
We cannot ensure the quality of zoom recordings should technical failures occur. We also cannot gurantee that all parts will be recorded. Therefore, it is NOT possible to register for recordings only. Students need to participate in all live lectures.
- Present the origins and a historical overview of the two groups and their relationship to one another.
- Examine the factors that lead to such widely divergent theological systems.
- Discuss the practical implications of these historical and theological issues.
- The student will recognize and evaluate the historical events and theological beliefs that have caused controversy between these two groups
- The student will integrate and decipher the modern schism between the two groups based on historical analysis.
- The student will appreciate God’s promises and faithfulness in spite of humanity’s sin.
Course Dates and Topics
|Sep 28||God’s plan for Israel and the nations in TNK|
|Oct 5||Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) in Israel, no class|
|Oct 12||Feast of Tabernacles, no class|
|Oct 19||Replacement Theology|
|Oct 26||Jews and Judaism in the NT|
|Nov 2||Parting of the Ways: Rabbinic Judaism|
|Nov 9||Church Fathers and the Jews|
|Nov 16||Middle Ages Part 1|
|Nov 23||Thanksgiving Holiday Break at DTS, no class|
|Nov 30||Middle Ages Part 2|
|Dec 7||Protestant Reformation / The Modern World|
|Dec 14||Theological Issues|
|Dec 21||Contemporary Issues|
Instructor: Dr. David Mishkin
David Mishkin is a Jewish Messianic believer in Yeshua and an elder of HaMaayan Messianic Congregation in Kfar Saba, Israel. He holds an MA in Intercultural and Jewish Studies, and PhD in Biblical and Religious Studies. He serves on the faculty of Israel College of the Bible in Netanya, Israel. His teaching field concentration is on Jewish History, Jewish-Christian Relations, and Historical Jesus. Dr. David Mishkin has published several scholarly articles and books including, A Handbook of the Jewish Roots of the Gospels, co-edited with Craig A. Evans, Tyndale, 2021, A Handbook on the Jewish Roots of the Christian Faith, co-edited with Craig A. Evans, Peabody: Hendrickson, 2019, Jewish Scholarship on the Resurrection of Jesus, Eugene: Pickwick, 2017, Rabbi and Redeemer: Discovering Yeshua in the Gospel of John, Cincinnati: Messianic Jewish Literature, 2010, The Wisdom of Alfred Edersheim, Eugene: Wipf and Stock, 2008, The Emerging Jewish Views of the Messiahship of Jesus and Their Bearing on the Question of His Resurrection, HTS Teologiese Studies, 71, no 1, art #2881, and more.
Course at a Glance
Live Lectures via Zoom
- Wednesdays, 4 – 7 PM GMT+3 (Israel Time)
- Language: English
- Kessler, Edward, An Introduction to Jewish-Christian Relations (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2010)
- Chrysostom, John, Homilies Against the Jews
- Martin Luther,On Jews
- For Personal Enrichment – $249 USD
- For Academic Credit – $750 USD
*These fees do not include required textbooks
**Payment is non-refundable